Introduction to the Unholy Death Knight
The Unholy specialisation currently provides moderate single target damage, as well as excellent cleave damage against 4+ targets. It is better in this regard when compared to many other specialisations.
Unholy Death Knights are currently very powerful, especially in a group where you are able to do consistently large pulls. This spec also offers some high burst in the game in both single-target and AoE situations. Unholy has strong survivability but lacks mobility, meaning positioning is very important on some encounters.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Unholy Death Knight
- Strong single target, AoE, and cleave DPS
- Excellent damage-mitigation capabilities
- Has ability that provides immunities to knockback and movement-impairing effects
- Poor target switching due to Festering Wound application
- Lack of damage immunity
- Low movement speed
- A variable amount of ramp-up time before it can deal effective DPS
Rotation for the Unholy Death Knight
The Basic rotation for Unholy Death Knights is as follows:
- Cast Army of the Dead just before the pull
- Click Soul Reaper when you have less than 2 full Runes available.
- Cast Dark Transformation on cooldown.
You can use the recommended Addon ConRo for help with your rotation, it can be found in our Addons Guide here
- Army of the Dead should normally be channelled before the pull, but also used for high burst during a fight.
- Apocalypse should be used when you have 4 stacks of Festering Wounds.
The stat priority for the Unholy Death Knights is:
- Critical Strike/ Versatility
Usually a higher item level piece of gear will be a bigger upgrade than a lower item level piece of gear even with better stats.