Introduction to the Frost Death Knight
The Frost specialisation provides reasonable single target and AoE DPS.
Frost Death Knights have amazing burst AoE and cleave, making them incredibly powerful on fights with short add bursts and two boss targets. They also have strong survivability, but lack strong mobility, making positioning very important on most encounters.
The Frost Death Knight is easy to learn and it’s rotation is straight forward.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Frost Death Knight
- Easy spec to learn
- Good sustained cleave damage
- Very strong short burst AoE damage
- Less mobility, then other specs
- Requires many small decisions at important moments to maximise the DPS rotation
Rotation for the Frost Death Knight
The basic rotation for the Frost Death Knight is as follows:
- Cast Chains of Ice, if you have 20 stacks
- Use Frostwyrm’s Fury at the end of Pillar of Frost
- Cast Remorseless Winter on cooldown
- Use Howling Blast, only if you have a Rime proc.
- Use Obliterate with a Killing Machine proc.
- Click Empower Rune Weapon, if nothing else is available.
- Use Horn of Winter, if you are using this talent.
- Pillar of Frost should be used on cooldown, stacking it with potions or any on-use trinkets you have.
- Empower Rune Weapon should be used as many times as possible throughout the encounter.
- Frostwyrm’s Fury should be used as many times as possible throughout an encounter.
The stat priority for Frost Death Knights is:
- Critical Strike
Usually a higher item level piece of gear will be a bigger upgrade. It is highly recommended you sim your character to find the stat weights that work best for you.
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob