Introduction to the Blood Death Knight
The Blood specialisation has an engaging play style, using self-healing through Death Strike as a primary source of damage mitigation. Blood has a versatile defensive toolkit and is effective in the full range of current content.
Blood Death Knights can be a force to be reckoned with, particularly in fights with infrequent, high, but not lethal physical damage. Their toolkit is also varied, and seasoned players will find answers to almost every situation they might get into in Mythic+.
Below you will find a beginners guide to the Blood Death Knight, you can click on highlighted abilities, for a more in depth description of them.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Death Knight
- High self-healing
- Specialised defensive cool downs
- Lots of utility with Gorefiend’s Grasp
- Two separate taunts with Dark Command and Death Grip
- Not very mobile
- Reactive mitigation model, leading to spiky health
- Reactive self-healing does not take into account environmental or self-inflicted damage, for example in Mythic+ Dungeons
Rotation for the Death Knight
- Use Marrowrend if your Bone Shield is about to expire.
- Use Death Strike if your health is low.
- Click Blooddrinker.
- Use Blood Boil if enemies do not have your Blood Plague disease.
- Use Marrowrend if you have 6 of Bone Shield.
- Cast Death and Decay if you are fighting at least 3 enemies.
- Use Heart Strike if you have 3 or more Runes.
- Use Blood Boil, on cooldown.
- Anti-Magic Shell absorbs up to 30% of your maximum health in magic damage over 5 seconds,
- Dancing Rune Weapon increases your chance to parry attacks by 40%. It also significantly increases your damage and resource generation.
- Vampiric Blood increases your maximum health and the amount of healing you receive by 30% for 10 seconds. It should be used either proactively in anticipation for high amounts of damageor reactively when low on health.
- Icebound Fortitude reduces all damage taken by 30% for 8 seconds. It should mostly be used proactively when you anticipate taking high damage.
The stat priority for Blood Death Knights is:
- Item Level
- Critical Strike
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob