Introduction to the Frost Mage
Frost excels at limiting enemy movement while dealing reliable and predictable damage. Frost is great at quickly bursting down priority adds, either by holding onto Mastery: Icicles for Glacial Spike or by holding procs for a quick burst.
In Mythic+, Frost’s formidable stacked AoE and single target DPS make them uniquely powerful. Combined with access to Time Warp and Arcane Intellect, they are very desirable in most groups.
Below you will find a beginners guide to the Frost Mage, you can click on highlighted abilities, for a more in depth description of them.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Frost Mage
- Strong single target and cleave damage
- High mobility and kiting
- Good at killing fragile targets quickly
- Fairly steady damage output
- Relatively weak burst single target, despite high single spell impacts
- Cleave depends on talents
- No way to deal with spread target damage
Rotation of the Frost Mage
- Cast Icy Veins
- Cast Flurry if you have Brain Freeze
- Use Frozen Orb
- Cast Ebonbolt if you are currently at 5 Icicles
- Throw Glacial Spike only if you have Brain Freeze
- Cast Frostbolt
- Icy Veins increases your Haste by 30% for 20 seconds.
- Time Warp increases Haste by 30% for 40 seconds for all party and raid members within 100 yards.
Stat Priority for the Frost Mage
The stat priority for Frost Mage is:
- Critical Strike
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob