Introduction to the Assassination Rogue
The Assassination Rogue deals damage through poison and bleed effects. Assassination has great defensive abilities that allow them to soak and survive mechanics that most other classes cannot. They focus dealing single target damage over a long period.
It is the slowest rogue spec and easier to play, leaving more capacity to concentrate on boss mechanics.
Assassination Rogues have strong single-target DPS and decent for cleave. It is also strong spec for Mythic+, due to its consistent DPS output and group utility. While AoE burst is not their strength, they also have a decent sustained AoE damage. This is a very good progression spec.
Below you will find a beginners guide to the Assassination Rogue, you can click on highlighted abilities, for a more in depth description of them.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Assassination Rogue
- Strong and consistent single target damage
- High sustained cleave
- Great defensive utility
- Burst AoE and short-term cleave
- Very cooldown reliant
- Cooldowns only affect one target
- Lacks multi-target abilities
Rotation of the Assassination Rogue
The basic rotation of the Assassination Rogue is as follows:
- Maintain Rupture
- Maintain Garrote
- Activate Vendetta when available
- Cast Toxic Blade when available, if you have chosen this talent
- Cast Envenom with 4-5 Combo Points
- Cast Mutilate to generate Combo Points
You can use the recommended Addon ConRo for help with your rotation. it can be found in our Addons Guide here
- Vendetta is your main DPS cooldown, you deal 30% increased damage to the target and are granted true sight of the target
- Feint reduces AoE damage taken by 40% for 5 seconds.
- Evasion increases your Dodge chance by 100% for 10 seconds
The stat priority for Assassination Rogue is:
- Critical Strike and Mastery
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob