Introduction to the Survival Hunter
Survival is the Melee Hunter spec. It has a versatile toolkit with lots of Crowd Control potential, very high burst AoE damage potential, and good single-target damage. Survival lies somewhere between Marksmanship and Beast Mastery. While it does not have Spirit Mend, it can use any pet type for any situation just like Beast Mastery.
Below you will find a beginners guide to the Survival Hunter, you can click on highlighted abilities, for a more in depth description of them.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Survival Hunter
- Very strong single-target damage.
- Versatile builds that allow for very good cleave or very good single-target.
- Can only do one thing really well at the same time.
Rotation of the Survival Hunter
The basic rotation of Survival Hunter is as follows:
- Cast Mongoose Bite aggressively to extend Coordinated Assault when it is close to expiring
- Use Coordinated Assault on cooldown, but do not overlap an existing Coordinated Assault
- Cast Kill Command on cooldown, if it will not Focus cap you
- Cast Wildfire Bomb on cooldown
- Fire Serpent Sting to spend Viper’s Venom procs, or simply in order to apply/refresh the DoT
- Cast Mongoose Bite to spend Focus, always trying to prevent yourself from hitting the Focus cap.
Coordinated Assault is Survival’s primary DPS cooldown. It increases all your damage done by 20%, and increases Kill Command‘s chance of resetting its cooldown by 25% for 20 seconds. It has a 2-minute cooldown
Aspect of the Eagle increases the range of your Raptor Strike to 40 yards for 15 seconds, on a 1-minute and 12-second cooldown
The stat priority for the Survival Hunter is
- Critical Strike
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob