Introduction to the Shadow Priest
Shadow Priests are priests that use their ties to the void in order to cause pain and suffering to their enemies. Most of their spells are either related to hits directly into their foes minds, weakening them with every blow or tapping into the power of the void to strike their foes with ancient powers. Like other Priest specs, they have the option to heal their allies’ wounds, but at a much more expensive cost. Shadow Priests can also convert the pain of their enemies into salvation to their allies, using vampire rituals in order to do so. The main thing that makes Shadow Priests truly special is Voidform.
Below you will find a beginners guide to the Shadow Priest, you can click on highlighted abilities, for a more in depth description of them.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Shadow Priest
- Decent self-healing through Vampiric Touch, scaling well with additional targets
- Situationally good group utility in the form of Vampiric Embrace
- Fairly strong burst AoE if you take the talents for it
- DoT management requires a lot of focus and can take away a lot of globals when facing a couple of targets
- Lack of good DPS cooldowns means that Shadow has low burst potential
- Weak single target damage
Rotation of the Shadow Priest
The basic rotation of the Shadow Priest:
- Use Shadowfiend whenever available, preferably when you have as much Haste as possible
- Apply and maintain Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch on your target, only refreshing them when they are about to fall off
- Cast Void Eruption whenever possible in order to enter Voidform
- Cast Void Bolt on cooldown when in Voidform
- Use Shadow Word: Void on cooldown, inside or outside of Voidform
- Cast Mind Flay as a filler when all of the above spells can not be cast or do not have to be cast
- Shadowfiend has a 3-minute cooldown which summons a shadowy fiend that attacks your target for 15 seconds. It is an offensive cooldown that is not particularly strong
- Void Eruption has a 2.5-second cast time (reduced by Haste), at the end of which you enter Voidform. Void Eruption also deals a big burst of damage to all enemies within 10 yards of your target.
The stat priority of the Shadow Priest is:
- Haste = Critical Strike
- Mastery = Versatility
Pro Healer (If I’m tabbed in), otherwise a total Moob